Position TitleFire Academy Training and Operations Specialist
Position TypeClassified Full Time
Percentage Employee100 %
Number of Months Assignment12
Starting DateAs soon as possible
Current Work Schedule
Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Days and hours of employment may change depending on District needs.
$4,140.99 – $5,303.28 monthly – Successful candidate will start at step 1 except in cases where District deems appropriate.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of specialized and responsible duties related to the functions, activities and facilities of the Fire Academy; assist administrative and instructional staff as assigned; train and provide work direction to student assistants and part-time staff.
Organizes and coordinates training activities and schedules at the Fire Academy; assures that classrooms, equipment and facilities are properly prepared. E
Organizes and coordinates Fire Academy students, staff and equipment for training at remote locations; issues and assures the return of Academy equipment and apparatus. E
Maintains discipline, order and proper conduct among cadets; conducts drills to assure proper standards of performance. E
Proctors examinations and grades papers; counsels and advises students regarding progress and methods of improvement. E
Provides instructional assistance to cadets regarding Academy requirements; coordinates progress reports with supervisor and instructors. E
Communicates with personnel from various training agencies and fire academies and departments regarding training needs, background investigations and cadet progress, recruitment and employment. E
Prepares and maintains a variety of records, files and reports regarding the attendance and academic status of cadets, equipment use and maintenance and payroll. E
Maintains current knowledge of fire fighting methods, techniques, equipment; attends meetings, seminars and training sessions as appropriate. E
Coordinates and participates in fairs and other special events and promotes community awareness of Academy functions. E
Trains and provides work direction to student assistants and part-time staff as assigned; participates as directed in selecting and hiring personnel.
Performs related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Specialized activities, functions and operations of a fire academy.
- District and Fire Academy rules and regulations.
- Operation of specialized fire fighting equipment and apparatus.
- Academy organization, operations, policies and objectives.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Methods, equipment and materials used in training cadets.
- Fire Department operations, practices and terminology.
- Organize and coordinate the operational details of a fire academy.
- Counsel, advise and assist cadets in fulfilling Academy and Department requirements.
- Organize and participate in special events and community relations activities.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school supplemented by college-level course work and field training in fire science and two years of increasingly responsible experience in the operations and functions of a fire department.
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Fire Academy environment; subject to noise from equipment and fumes from fire noxious gases.
Applications are currently being accepted for Fire Academy Training and Operations Specialist. This is a Full-Time 100%, 12 month position. The days and hours of employment are Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. This is a PERS retirement system position.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on the closing date.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Complete transcripts of all colleges/university studies, including degree earned (copies will be accepted) NOTE: Transcripts from multiples colleges/universities may need to be scanned as one document, then uploaded.
- PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the District’s expense.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.