2600 South First Street Temple, TX
Adult Basic Education and Literacy
Salary Grade Ranking
Schedule may vary due to departmental commitments.
Total hours required per week
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL AND WORK REQUIREMENTS (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS): High School equivalency and two (2) years directly related full-time work experience or high school equivalency and any combination of college, technical or university education and directly related work experience equal to two (2) years. Part-time work experience will be prorated and must equal the minimum requirements. PREFERENCES: Bilingual (English and Spanish). CERTIFICATION OR LICENSES: None
Position Summary & Essential Duties
The following duties, responsibilities, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s), and physical requirements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. The information listed below is not intended to be construed as a complete listing of all duties, responsibilities, KSA’s, and physical requirements required of this position since changes to the position may occur at any time or additional requirements that may be added over the course of time.
Under the direct supervision of the Director/Associate Director (AD)/Coordinator of Enrollment Management, Adult Education & Literacy Program (AEL), the incumbent will perform a variety of administrative and staff support duties directly related to the AEL Program which requires an accompanying range of positive customer service, office skills, procedures and knowledge of organizational policies and procedures. Assists and directs participants and visitors with accurate information regarding the AEL Program. Helps resolve administrative problems and inquiries both internal and external to the AEL Program. Filing, organizing records, data entry, assisting participants, and performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications (Required and Preferred)
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL AND WORK REQUIREMENTS (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS):
High School equivalency and two (2) years directly related full-time work experience or high school equivalency and any combination of college, technical or university education and directly related work experience equal to two (2) years. Part-time work experience will be prorated and must equal the minimum requirements.
Bilingual (English and Spanish).
CERTIFICATION OR LICENSES:
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Is the initial and primary customer service contact to welcome and greet participants, instructors and staff in person or on the telephone.
- Helps participants such as answering questions regarding but not limited to High School Equivalency (HSE) program; English as Second Language (ESL) program; Integrated Education and Training (IET) program and general program questions.
- Assists the Coordinator of Enrollment Management with orientation, graduation and pre-registering students.
- Assists the Coordinator of Enrollment Management with Texas Educational Assessment of Minimum Skills (TEAMS) data entry.
- Assists the Enrollment Services Representative in managing front desk and participant lab/testing space.
- Serves as a proctor in the AEL participant lab/testing space. Assigns participants to testing computers, navigating users to appropriate testing software, trouble-shooting problems and issues.
- Informs Enrollment Services Representative immediately of any computer issues to report to the Temple College Information Technology Department.
- Exercises sound judgment in directing participants to the appropriate resources.
- Prints, emails, faxes, scans and files program and participant records and documents.
- Recommends updates to AEL forms when needed at direction of the Coordinator of Enrollment Management.
- Answers the AEL Department telephone and is responsible for the AEL Book Vault and other storage areas within the department.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
SOCIAL CONSTRUCTS REQUIRED OF POSITION:
- Display empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Work with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Be friendly and collegial with co-workers, faculty, students, staff, and visitors to the campus.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain proficiency as needed and approved by attending trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality. Keep work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities & Physical Demands
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of contemporary clerical and administrative procedures such as managing files and documents.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (WORD, Excel, and PowerPoint) software.
- Knowledge of FERPA.
- Organizing and coordinating skills
- Communication skills to effectively express accurate information to others
- Active listening skills to understand what participants are communicating
- Word processing, data entry or typewriting skill
- Ability to read, write, and understand verbal and written instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- The ability to interact with students, faculty, staff, and customers of the college.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and deliver participant presentations during orientation
- Ability to provide skilled and capable customer service, front desk and telephone skills
- Ability to determine priorities with time management skills
- Ability to follow chain of supervisory command
- Ability to learn and retain AEL Program admissions policies and eligibility requirements set forth by the Texas Workforce Commission.
Light physical activity is required with occasional lifting of objects up to 15 pounds. A considerable amount of data entry is required so keyboard manipulation, typing speed, and accuracy is mandatory. Sitting for long periods of time.
Work is normally performed in an interior/office work environment. Travel may be required to other offsite centers or to main campus in a personal or college owned vehicle.
Schedule may vary due to departmental commitments.
HOURS REQUIRED PER WEEK:
Director/Associate Director/Coordinator of Enrollment Management, Temple College, Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) Program as instructed.