The Department of Theatre and Dance within the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences at the University of Kansas invites qualified scholars and professionals in the genres of acting, musical theatre, theatre design and technology, stage management, theatre history, and performance studies to submit applications for part- to full-time teaching positions in Theatre. The appointment will be semester by semester, temporary or regular lecturer positions. The Department accepts applications at any time, but normally makes appointments for Fall semester in May or June and for Spring semester in October and November. All appointments are contingent upon staffing needs.
Application materials will be reviewed by the faculty and placed in a pool for consideration for teaching undergraduate or graduate courses in Theatre.
The successful candidate must have appropriate authorization to work in the U.S. before employment begins.
Regular Lecturer Duties
100% - Regular Lecturer Duties for Theatre:
Teach undergraduate level courses in acting, musical theatre, stage management, theatre history, introduction to theatre, or other THR courses in the Department of Theatre and Dance on an as-need or semester basis.
- Prepare for and attend all class meetings. In case of absence, the lecturer must make arrangements for a substitute to teach class. Classes should not be cancelled.
- Develop assignments, administer tests or other performance assessments, evaluate student work, provide feedback to students, and assign grades.
- The lecturer should be available for reasonable appointments with students, as requested.
- Adhere to departmental, college and university policies.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application, (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in resume, and (3) information provided from professional references:
- Terminal Degree (MFA or PhD) in Theatre or closely related field;
- OR at least two-years of experience teaching at an accredited university,
- OR two or more years of professional experience as a practitioner in dance, theatre, film, television, and/or other media.
1. More than two-years of professional experience as a practitioner in dance, theatre, film, television, and/or other media
- OR more than two-years of teaching experience at an accredited university.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application will include a letter of application, a vitae detailing specific subject areas the applicant is qualified to teach and/or develop, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Deadline/ Review Date: Review begins April 26, 2021 and continue as needed for openings.
Estimated Start Date: Ongoing
Contact Information to Applicants
Dr. Henry Bial
Advertised Salary Range
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Application Review Begins