The YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region is hiring a responsible and energetic Group Exercise Instructor at the Senior Center. This applicant will enthusiastically represent the YMCA by displaying a positive attitude, maintaining a high level of energy and commitment to quality throughout all aspects of the job through the four character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. The Exercise Instructor will create a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while conducting the exercise classes. Strong communication, listening and organizational skills are required for this position. Accumulate Continuing Education Credits (CECs) required to maintain national certification OR 15 CEC’s every 3 years to maintain current Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise certification. This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth/senior development, healthy living and social responsibility.
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Teaching group fitness classes 24 months
- Experience teaching Feldenkrais
- Current YMCA of the USA Foundations of Group Exercise OR current ACE Group Fitness Instructor, AFAA Group Fitness Instructor certification, NETA Group Exercise certification, ACSM Group Exercise certification OR any specialty certification including but not limited to: Zumba, Tae Bo, AFAA Kickboxing, Balletone, any SilverSneakers certification, any Les Mills group exercise certification, TurboKick
- General knowledge of fitness principles and training adaptations including basic anatomy and physiology
- Physically able to demonstrate techniques and skills of group exercise and communicate with staff and participants
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead fitness classes following the guidelines of the YMCA Instructor Handbook
- Record and maintain attendance records
- Set up facility or equipment, store equipment, and secure facility upon completion of class
- Prepare progressive exercise plans
- Secure qualified substitute instructor when needed
- Report injuries and complete required forms
- Support and follow YMCA policies and decisions and answer member questions about the YMCA and its programs and fitness related questions
- Attend staff meetings
- Provide music that meets YMCA standards
PART-TIME EMPLOYEE BENEFITS:
- Free individual membership
- Program discounts
- Generous retirement benefits - 12% after eligibility is met
- Employee Assistance Program
- Accrue 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked
Child Abuse Prevention:
Support the YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
The YMCA has zero tolerance for abuse. We will report all suspected and/or allegations of abuse to the state and federal law.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region is a Drug and Alcohol Free work environment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to empower a qualified candidate with a disability to perform the essential functions of the job.
This job announcement is not intended to be inclusive of all functions, responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position, however, representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the position.