Position TitleElectrician - District Pool
Position TypeClassified short term pool
Starting DateAs soon as possible
Current Work Schedule
Monday thru Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m; as needed. Days and hours of employment may change depending on District needs.
Salary RangeRange 33
DepartmentFacilities Services (Dept)
About Rio Hondo College
About Río Hondo College
Río Hondo College welcomes and embraces all students in their educational and career pathways. As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), our College has a student population of 22,000, of which 18,000 are Latinx students. We were the first college in Los Angeles County to provide two years of free tuition to first-time, full-time college students through our Río Promise program. We are proud to acknowledge that many of our students have transferred to high ranked institutions such as Harvard, Stanford, USC and UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, Cal State LA, Cal State Long Beach, and Whittier College to name a few.
Our caring and dedicated student-centered staff, faculty, and administrators are devoted to the advancement of educational justice, equity, and opportunity for all our students. Our College’s 900 employees, with close to 600 faculty, hold themselves accountable for the academic success of disproportionately impacted student populations. Our entire staff, with unwavering team collaboration, work hard to ensure our students reach their full potential by eliminating gaps in academic outcomes that traditionally hinder students of color.
Río Hondo College is committed to the recruitment of qualified and diverse employees who are dedicated to our students’ success. We recognize that diversity in an academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for our students. We are steadfast in our hiring practices and staff development processes which reinforce the goals of equal opportunity, diversity, and inclusion. Our practices and processes also support the importance of a workforce that reflects the community and the diverse student population we serve.
Río Hondo College employs approximately 55% tenured track faculty of color; 60% part-time faculty of color; 85% classified staff of color; and 50% administrators of color.
Río Hondo College offers 30 associate degrees that guarantee transfer (ADTs) to Cal State Universities, a bachelor’s degree in Automotive Technology, more than 60 certificates, a Pathway to Law School, dual enrollment with K-12 districts, state championship speech & debate team and excellent athletic teams, student leadership opportunities, travel abroad experiences and more.
In collaboration with the communities in Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, El Monte, South El Monte, Whittier, portions of Norwalk, La Mirada, Downey, La Puente, the City of Industry, Los Nietos and Avocado Heights, Río Hondo College provides an exceptional academic curriculum to meet the unique needs of our region and strengthen our communities.
Under the direction of the Manager, Operations and Maintenance, perform journey-level electrical work in the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment.
- Inspect, repair, install, service and maintain electrical systems including conduit and duct systems, light and power circuits, motorized appliances, generators, control equipment, switch boards, fans, heaters, fixtures, boilers, bell and buzzer systems. E
- Install or replace necessary interior and exterior wiring for equipment, appliances and lighting. E
- Wire new and altered buildings; alter electrical systems. E
- Diagnose repair needs and repair defects in electrical systems. E
- Observe and comply with federal, State and local electrical codes. E
- Work from sketches, plans, drawings, blueprints and specifications. E
- Estimate time and materials required for electrical maintenance and repair activities; maintain related records. E
- Establish and implement prudent safety policies and procedures; observe safety of others and recommend precautionary action if necessary while repairs are in progress. E
- Provide work direction and guidance to maintenance personnel as assigned; provide assistance to other maintenance personnel as required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires us to identify the essential (E) duties/functions of the position. We have indicated those duties with an E on the job description.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Materials, methods, tools and equipment used in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical equipment.
- Electrical theory and principles.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Electrical codes and their proper implementation.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Perform journey-level electrical work in the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of electrical systems and equipment.
- Work from blueprints, shop drawings and sketches.
- Operate a variety of equipment and machines utilized in the basic trade including testing equipment, drills, saws, various hand and power tools, forklifts and boom trucks.
- Estimate time and materials required for electrical work.
- Understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Maintain routine records.
- Read, interpret and follow rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Operate a vehicle observing legal and defensive driving practices.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: sufficient training and experience to demonstrate journey-level skill in the electrical trade.
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.
Valid and insurable California driver’s license.
Work involves indoor and outdoor environments; subject to lifting, climbing and high voltage.
Applications are currently being accepted for Electrician. This is a short-term, hourly, on-call position. The days and hours of employment are Monday thru Friday 7:00 am – 3:30 pm.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on the closing date.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
PAPER APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATION MATERIALS SENT VIA MAIL, FAX, OR EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- NOTE THAT ALL CORRESPONDENCE, INCLUDING INTERVIEW INVITATIONS, WILL BE SENT VIA EMAIL.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- Pass a pre-employment physical exam at the District’s expense.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
Commitment to Diversity
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Cancel RTF Policy
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN, RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Rio Hondo College is committed to employing qualified administrators, faculty and staff members who are dedicated to student success. The Board recognizes that diversity in the academic environment fosters cultural awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for all students. The Board is committed to hiring and staff development processes that support the goals of equal opportunity and diversity, and provide equal consideration for all qualified candidates.